Sunday, July 20, 2008

Experiment #1


Butternut Squash French Toast

The kids had already been munching on some cereal before I got around to making breakfast this morning so I wasn't expecting them to eat too much, but they each ate about half and I think that's a thumbs up! We used up some super dry multigrain bread, each slice having 1 whole egg but only a few tablespoons of puree. Other than the sugar and syrup, the rest of this meal was pretty healthy, especially with the flax meal sprinkled on top for extra omega-3's! Personally, I didn't think this meal was spectacular, but it was very edible and I'm not one for breakfast foods, especially ones where the egg gets brown in the cooking method, so that really does say a lot. You could only taste a hint of the squash, and I think the offsetting flavor was more to the bread I used (i believe i crunched into a bit of rye seeds...not something you generally expect to taste with syrup) than the recipe itself. All in all, 2 slices was more than enough to satisfy, it was yummy and not too sweet and it was packed full of good stuffs and not expensive to make so I give it 4 ****

No comments: