Friday, August 29, 2008

My Blessingway

"A Blessingway is a wonderful ritual for the mother-to-be. It celebrates her step in motherhood (or motherhood again!) Baby showers are a lot of fun and they are a wonderful way to gift new parents things they need for the baby. A blessingway, however, is a unique way to honor the mother.

During the gathering, friends (and family) of the mother come together to give her support and encouragement as she waits for labor to begin. It is a wonderful and affirming time for her.

Oftentimes the friends at the ceremony agree that as soon as they receive word labor has begun they will say a prayer and light a candle for the mother. This support can mean so much to a laboring woman." info found here

My blessingway is at the end of September and I would be honored if anyone would like to participate, even long distance. Basically, we will be making a birthing necklace, lighting some candles and wearing a yarn/string bracelet until I give birth. You can participate or not in any of those things.

How the birthing necklace works is each mom picks a bead, something that is representative of something special to them. In the past, I've seen beads that are like big O's for the ooooooh noises of childbirth, or ones that look like placentas or ones that look like leaves on a tree for a recent documentary a mom saw on a tribe that all birthed in a hollowed out sacred tree. Spiral ones for spiraling hips or blue ones for the ocean or for having a boy. Ones that remind of peace or love or anything. It can be purple simply because it's your favorite color. Just anything that speaks to you. You can send that bead to me, with something that says why you chose it and then also a blessing. Some blessings I've heard is for a peaceful labor, a strong bond, a healing birth, a sensual birth, healthy baby, happy mommy, peaceful postpartum ETC. Then at the blessingway, we add your bead to the necklace and it's something I wear or have near while birthing.

The candles are for you to keep and light when I go into labor. You can light it and send me some happy vibes!

The yarn or string is something for you to wear on your wrist (as long as it doesn't get really annoying lol) and to remind you of me and to think of me and send me labor vibes throughout the day until I go into labor. This is something I've done for other blessingways, and it's really neat for about a week LOL

I would love for my birthing necklace beads to be a surprise, so if anyone would needs my address please call my mom, Jeremy's mom or email Jeremy.

Thank you to everyone who wants to be a part of it!

No comments: